Mon, Sep 26|
FAU SeaTech in Dania Beach
FREE Field Trip to FAU SeaTech Laboratory (Elementary)
The mission of SeaTech - The Institute for Ocean and Systems Engineering - is to provide an environment for advanced engineering research and technology development aimed at solving problems in the ocean.
Time & Location
Sep 26, 2022, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
FAU SeaTech in Dania Beach, 101 N Beach Rd, Dania Beach, FL 33004, USA
About the Event
Elementary Students, Monday, Sept 26th 2pm -4pm
Middle/High Students, Thursday, Sept 29th 2pm-4pm
Please register for every student in group
*Limited to 25 students
Join us as we explore the FAU SeaTech lab. We'll get to see some of the amazing research being done right here in our backyard as we learn about marine acoustic, underwater robotics, hydrodynamics, and more.
The SeaTech lab is part of FAU's Department of Ocean and Mechanical Engineering, and the College of Engineering and Computer Science. It is primarily located on eight acres of land between the Atlantic Ocean and the intracoastal waterway in Dania Beach, Florida, with valuable easy access to the ocean. Its team of world-class faculty, graduate students and engineers and technicians are engaged in federally and industry sponsored ocean engineering research and technology development in the following areas:
- marine vehicles
- hydrodynamics and physical oceanography
- marine materials
- applied ocean systems
- and ocean energy technologies.
SeaTech's 50,000 sq. foot building boasts:
- oceanfront research laboratories
- docking facilities for its two research vessels and other boats from visiting institutions
- machine and electronic shops
- 60 ft wave/towing/flume tank
- laminar flow re-circulating channel
- ocean observation systems
- extensive laboratories for development of autonomous underwater vehicles (AUV)
- mechanisms for corrosion control
- high-speed underwater modem communication systems
- ocean energy technologies and seabasing systems
- several AUVs, including two 21” Ocean Explorer vehicles with depth rating of 300m
- 21” Bluefin Odyssey III vehicle with depth rating of 3000m
- 9” Morpheus vehicle with depth rating of 100m
- the capability to launch, recover and operate AUVs
- development of an underwater docking station for small-class AUVs.
LOOKING FOR ANOTHER UPCOMING EVENT?
CLICK RSVP AND SCROLL BACK TO THE TOP OF THE PAGE FOR THE REGISTRATION
- Thu, Dec 07Bill Bird MarinaDec 07, 2023, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PMBill Bird Marina, 10800 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33154, USAJoin us for Seakeepers Floating Classroom and experience ocean science in Miami
- Thu, Dec 07Island Water SportsDec 07, 2023, 5:00 PM – Dec 08, 2023, 9:00 PMIsland Water Sports, 1985 NE 2nd St, Deerfield Beach, FL 33441, USAJoin Surf Skate Science as a kid/teen entrepreneur at the IWS Holiday Market. Spaces are free but limited. Apply now.
- Tue, May 14Grassy Waters Preserve in W Palm BeachMay 14, 2024, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PMGrassy Waters Preserve in W Palm Beach, 8264 Northlake Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL 33412, USAJoin Surf Skate Science on an Everglades Experience via canoe at Grassy Waters Preserve, West Palm. Limited to 25 students.
- Tue, May 21Grassy Waters Preserve in W Palm BeachMay 21, 2024, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PMGrassy Waters Preserve in W Palm Beach, 8264 Northlake Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL 33412, USAJoin Surf Skate Science on an Everglades Experience via canoe at Grassy Waters Preserve, West Palm. Limited to 25 students.
- Thu, May 23Grassy Waters Preserve in W Palm BeachMay 23, 2024, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PMGrassy Waters Preserve in W Palm Beach, 8264 Northlake Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL 33412, USAJoin Surf Skate Science on an Everglades Experience at Grassy Waters Preserve, West Palm. Limited to 45 participants. Grades 3rd and up are recommended. Parents welcome.